Mel Wagner's Blog: August 2010

What Do You Need to Know When Selling or Buying an Oregon Home with a Woodstove or Insert?

Salem Oregon Real Estate-New Oregon Law-Woodstoves

What You Need to Know Before Buying or Selling a home in Oregon.

Salem Oregon New Law for Sellers Woodstove

On August 1, 2010, a new law affecting homes with woodstoves went into effect.  What do you need to know about this new law if you are a Salem Oregon Seller or Buyer?

As of August 1st, Oregon law requires that any uncertified woodstove or fireplace insert must be removed and destroyed and if you are selling your home.

1.  What do you need to do if you have a woodstove or insert?

First you need to check to see if the woodstove or insert is certified.  If it is not certified by DEQ or EPA you are responsible for removing and destroying it prior to the close of the sale on your property.

2.  How do you determine if it is certified?

You can tell if your device is certified by looking on the back for a certification sticker from Oregon DEQ or EPA.  This label will indicate that it is certified to comply with particular emission standards.  A safety label (from U.L. or other safety listing agencies) is not the same as DEQ or EPA certification.

You can also check DEQ'S webpage to see if your wood heating device is listed on the EPA's or DEQ's certification list.

3.  What if your stove does not have a label

You cannot get it certified.  Certification is completed by the stove manufacturers when they introduce a new line.  To meet the requirements, stoves must have pollution control systems built into them.

4.  What are my options for removing and destroying my device.

You can remove it yourself, or contact your local woodstove retailer or chimney sweep who may be able to remove and destroy your device for you.  If you choose to remove it yourself, you can take it to a local metal scrap recycler or landfill  to make sure it is properly disposed of.  Be sure you get a receipt from wherever you take your stove/insert.  Your receipt is proof of the stove's destruction and part of your notification to DEQ.

5.  What do I need to do to notify DEQ?

Prior to the close of your sale, you can submit a woodstove disclosure form online to DEQ.   You can also print out a paper form from the website and follow the instructions.

6.  What if my device is in a garage or shop?

You must remove any uncertified wood burning device from all buildings on the property that is being sold.

7.  Can I sell the device?

No.  You cannot sell, offer to sell, or advertise any uncertified device.

8.  Can the homebuyer remove the device?

Yes, you can agree in writing that the buyer will remove the device.



What should you know about buying a home with one of these devices?

1.  The seller must provide to you the seller's disclosure form indicating whether there is a wood burning device on the property.

2.  It is the seller's responsibility to remove the uncertified device unless you and the seller agree in writing that you, the buyer, will be responsible for removing the device.  If you decide to remove the device yourself, you have 30 days following the close of the sale to do so.

3.  You are then responsible for obtaining a receipt indicating that you destroyed the stove and submit notification to DEQ.


Pellet Stoves

Antique Stoves


Wood-fired broilers


For more information on this new law, and the requirements that need to be met, visit DEQ's website.   

More Salem Oregon Home Seller  Tips

More Salem Oregon Homebuyer Tips


Please feel free to subscribe to my blog to keep up to date with the latest Salem Oregon real estate and community information.  

Relocating to the Salem Area?  Request a copy of my Salem Area Guide to Real Estate Prices and a relocation package with useful information on the Salem area that will help to make your move easier.

Find out what your home's value is or request a market report on your neighborhood and a free copy of my book "How To Sell Your House For Top Dollar, Fast" here.  You will also receive a free subscription to my "Top Dollar" newsletter for Sellers.  

Licensed Real Estate Principal Broker in the State of Oregon. 

Please join me on these sites!

  Twitter         Facebook        Linkedin       Blogger Blog     Youtube     Google Description
Comment balloon 5 commentsMel Wagner • August 30 2010 03:59PM
What Do You Need to Know When Selling or Buying an Oregon Home with a…
Salem Oregon Real Estate -New Oregon Law -Woodstoves What You Need to Know Before Buying or Selling a home in Oregon. On August 1, 2010, a new law affecting homes with woodstoves went into effect. What do you need to know about… more
The Oregon State Fair is Here!! Have You Found the Specials and…
The Oregon State Fair is here! Be sure to Get Your Specials and Discounts. This year the Oregon State Fair started on August 27th ands goes through September 6th. Make sure to check out all the deals andspecials on the Oregon State Fair… more
West Salem Oregon Home for Sale-1595 Bonnie Way
West Salem Oregon Home For Sale at 1595 Bonnie Way Fantastic price on this West Salem Cutie!! 3/1. 5 with 2264 sq ft. Home features a living room with wood fireplace, and family room with gas fireplace and built in bar, and formal and… more
Single Level Home for Sale in Salem Oregon-4473 Hayesville Dr.
Single Level Home for Sale in Salem Oregon -4473 Hayesville Dr. Fantastic price on this lovely 3/2 single level in Jan Ree. Home features a large kitchen with breakfast bar and separate living and family rooms. Plenty of room for your… more
Bring Your Horses!! 7721 Heckart Lane-South Salem Oregon Home for Sale
Salem Oregon Home for Sale -7721 Heckart Lane-Bring Your Horses!! Here is your chance to own your own private country retreat only minutes from town & I-5. Bring your horses or other animals because the 30x48 shop/ barn has 4 horse bays, a… more